Pitt football: Early open use position notes, recruiting news – Pittsburgh Post
So a initial week of open practices for Pitt football are in a books. Only 4 some-more to go.
Where do we mount after 3 loyal days of camp? Well, take it all with a pellet of salt deliberation A. Saturday was a initial examination in pads and B. Those of us who attend use don’t get to see most anyway.
But hey, it’s still something, so here’s a summation of some of a news and records to come out of open drills so far. We’ll usually go position by position:
• Quarterback: The Panthers have 5 QBs this open and it should stay that approach going into subsequent season, as grad send Max Browne and beginner Kenny Pickett are already here. You’ve substantially review plenty about Browne already. There’s a new walk-on in a brew in Jake Zilinskas, who redshirted final deteriorate during Division III powerhouse John Carroll. Zilinskas was a flattering good QB during Indiana High School personification for his dad, Mark Zilinskas, and was also a youth starter on a Indiana basketball organisation that won a WPIAL Class AAA championship in 2015. For a fun fact to stir your friends, Zilinskas was Indiana’s heading scorer in that diversion with 16 points to assistance take down Beaver Falls and remarkable Pitt football spurner Donovan Jeter.
• Running back: This is a utterly deficient organisation right now, as Darrin Hall is not practicing (injury) and conjunction of A.J. Davis or Todd Sibley enrolled early. But it sounds like Qadree Ollison and Chawntez Moss are receiving certain reviews from a coaches. Look out for my story on Ollison in Sunday’s paper and online.
• Tight end: Chris Clark, Chris Clark, Chris Clark. With a side of Devon Edwards. Clark is a usually grant parsimonious finish listed on a roster, though Edwards, who started his career during that mark before relocating to a defensive line, is behind operative during his strange position. We’ll see how Clark’s restraint is assessed as a Panthers continue practicing in pads.
• Wide receiver: A flattering plain bunch, obviously, heading with Jester Weah and Quadree Henderson. Both should be in for large years (again). Aaron Mathews and Tre Tipton seem to be subsequent dual in line, with cornerback Maurice Ffrench sneaking in a review as a two-way tool form of guy.
• Offensive line: Brian O’Neill has changed from right tackle to left to take over for Adam Bisnowaty. Jaryd Jones-Smith slides in during right. Alex Officer, final year’s starting center, has kicked out to left ensure to former a ominous blind side with O’Neill, while Alex Bookser stays a man during right guard. Redshirt youth Connor Dintino, who has played everywhere from fullback to defensive tackle, now slides in during center. In some combination, a second organisation appears to be Tony Pilato, Jerry Drake, Brandon Ford, Bryce Hargrove and walk-on Jimmy Morrissey. Pilato, a redshirt sophomore, competence be a tip backup to both tackle spots, though beware a freshman: Pat Narduzzi singled out Drake as a standout so far, that maybe shouldn’t be startling from a man who had offers from Alabama, Auburn and a horde of other southern powers. “He doesn’t demeanour like he’s a freshman. He’s not personification like a freshman. That’s a one man I’d contend that if he usually keeps going, he’s gonna plea some people that maybe have been here for a integrate years.”
• Defensive line: A position that’s flattering unsettled during this point, as several guys are rotating by a tackle and finish spots. Your “starters” during this indicate would substantially be Rori Blair and James Folston during a ends, Jeremiah Taleni and redshirt beginner Keyshon Camp during tackles. But Amir Watts saw some personification time during tackle final deteriorate as a loyal freshman, and redshirt juniors Mike Herndon and Shane Roy are still in a brew too. Dewayne Hendrix could really good be a starting defensive finish when it’s all pronounced and done, as he was in a 2016 deteriorate opener, though he eventually missed a whole year with an damage and is still operative his approach behind to full health. Redshirt freshmen Kaezon Pugh and Patrick Jones are a integrate some-more to guard during DE, and comparison Allen Edwards brings a maestro participation there.
• Linebacker: Another organisation that seems to be sincerely far-reaching open. Quintin Wirginis is prepared to step in during center linebacker, though a coaching staff is giving Saleem Brightwell copiousness of looks there this spring. The starters alongside Wirginis/Brightwell competence be a integrate of former North Allegheny Tigers in Elijah Zeise and Sean Idowu, though Jalen Williams is also involved.Narduzzi has done it transparent that he wants to get his best 3 linebackers out there by any means necessary, regardless of “mike,” “money,” or “star” position designations. Every man has to know each spot, some-more or less.
• Cornerback: The review starts with veterans Avonte Maddox and Phillipie Motley, though includes a horde of others. Rather than try to make too most of a ghastly conditions in mid-March, let’s usually use Narduzzi’s word from his press discussion Wednesday and contend it’s “open season” during this position.
• Safety: Two some-more veterans, Jordan Whitehead and Dennis Briggs, are a starters here. But Jay Stocker and Bricen Garner are competing and, arrange of like a using behind situation, it’s all rather indecisive until four-star partisan Paris Ford arrives good after open drills finish up.
Don’t know if I’m going to consistently have a underline called “Recruiting corner” though it seemed like a elementary adequate approach to retard off this section.
The Pitt football staff had a whole slew of recruiting targets down to use Saturday, including:
• Kwantel Raines, Aliquippa DB, 2018
• Devin Danielson, Thomas Jefferson DL, 2018
• David Green, Central Catholic DL, 2018
• Vinny DePalma, DePaul Catholic (NJ) LB, 2018
• Keaton Upshaw, Lima Senior (OH) TE, 2018
• Wendell Davis, Benedictine (VA) LB, 2018
• Jimmy McKenna, Avon (OH) OL, 2018
• Jayvon Thrift, Norwin DB, 2019
• Deoveon Crute, Aliquippa DB, 2019
• Nyquee Hawkins, Orange (NJ) DB, 2019
It was utterly important that DePalma was during use for a second uninterrupted day, and he seemed to have utterly a fortuitous with him, from relatives to coaches. He’s a priority aim for sure.
Thrift also saw himself collect adult a Pitt offer today. Norwin hasn’t constructed too many big-time football recruits lately, though sounds like Thrift is a hard-hitting reserve who could be a good one.
The staff also had a integrate internal 2018 kickers on hand, Beaver Area’s Will Connelly and Hickory’s Jacob Scarton. Kickers are people (and recruits!) too.
There were copiousness of other informed faces unresolved out on a South Side sidelines, from 2017 parsimonious finish signee out of Pine-Richland Grant Carrigan, to former players. Ejuan Price, Lafayette Pitts, Matt Galambos, Scott Orndoff and Jaymar Parrish were all holding in a initial use in pads.
Week 2 of open round starts Tuesday, with another use Thursday and a intensity struggle Saturday (which will expected be sealed to a media entirely, so no updates).
Brian Batko: firstname.lastname@example.org and Twitter @BrianBatko.